Monday 31 May 2010

Headless Edna

My Nanna was a dressmaker by trade, and as a little girl I earnt my first "wages" helping her with prepping garments for alterations and tidying her workroom.  Thinking back, I don't know how she managed to work in her room - it was small and it had poor natural light and was strewn with reams of fabric, garments piled in bags waiting to be collected (which sometimes never were collected!), a cutting table, sewing machine and ironing board. 

Amongst the mayhem was her old tailors dummy who we fondly named Headless Edna.  I think she dates back to the 1950's, she is generally in good condition with a few little minor holes.


When my Nanna recently moved, she took Edna with her, and looked after her until my parents collected her.  Edna spent a couple of months down on the sunny south coast of England, dressed up in clothes and a hat, before making her final trip up to her new home in Scotland.

I had forgotten how much some things evoke memories of childhood, playing in my Nans room with buttons, customers coming and going, endless days of watching my Nan at work.....

I had originally planned to sit her in my new studio once built, but I think she will be far happier standing proud in my living room, no accesories, just lovely faded fabric, holes and all. Thanks Nan xx

No comments: