Wednesday 11 November 2009

Meet Anna Lavezzo......


A little background on Mimi Pearl.....for those of you who don't know, Mimi Pearl was founded in 2007 after my love of creating. Named Mimi (my daughters petname) and Pearl due to my love of pearls and the vintage string of pearls I started with - that has inspired so many of my designs.


When I was a little girl, my Nanna (pictured) was a dressmaker and a huge inspiration to me. My first pocket money was made unpicking garments that needed alterating. The "front room" where she worked from, was filled with fabric, buttons, threads, headless Edna (tailors dummy!) and invited in a stream of customers. It was here and then that I fell in love with creating. My Nan always used to say - if she had been a little younger we would have set up shop together.


When I was deciding on a logo, it seemed adpt that I use on of my favourite photos of a remarkable, wonderful and huge role model to me. Black and white photography plays a huge part getting my ideas flowing - this image was taken at a function in Tripoli, in the original, she is flanked either side by my late Grandad and some other dashing gentleman. Claiming she wasn't smoking - just "holding" the cigarette for someone - Anna Lavezzo sums up the Mimi Pearl ethos - whimsical, vintage inspired with feminine and pretty edge.

No comments: